Factory of Flowers 117/7 by Moorcroft
Factory of Flowers 117/7 by Moorcroft Designed by Kerry Goodwin Numbered Edition. Once the new 1919 bottle oven was up and running, production continued at a pace throughout the 1920s. Flowers were still used as the main source of inspiration and at least ten new designs were launched during this period, featuring both domestic and exotic flora. In 1956, Moorcroft’s world was to change with the introduction of The Clean Air Act. Coal-fired bottle ovens were no longer used and instead, electric kilns began operation.
In 1956, the first Moorcroft bottle oven was demolished following the installation of an electric tunnel kiln for glaze firing. The second bottle oven was demolished once the changeover to electric firing had been completed in 1960, and the third, and youngest, bottle oven remained alone, destined to become the historic feature of the factory that it is today.
In the 1970s, the brown brick factory was white-washed and has remained so ever since. Kerry’s vase shows the factory as it is today. The beds and borders that some of our dedicated Club members lovingly tend when they visit us, are filled with Spring Flowers which appeared on pieces from 1936 until the late 1950s under the stewardship of both William and his son Walter. Kerry’s bottle oven has smoke billowing from it – a figment of her imagination for the very good reason that by the 1970s, it lay silent and dormant, enjoying a well-earned rest, after so many years loyal service.